How do I add a parent category in WordPress?
Let’s take a look at how to set a subcategory of a parent category in WordPress in three steps.
- Step 1: Start Editing a Post & Select the Categories Tab.
- Step 2: Click on the Add New Category Link.
- Step 3: Select a Parent Category for Your WordPress Subcategory.
How do I show only parent category in my WordPress post loop?
You can get the categories using get_categories() and you can get all of the top level categories with: $categories = get_categories( array( ‘parent’ => 0 ) ); Then, something like this should work for you to get only posts within top level categories.
What is a parent category?
the parent category – An entity used in catalogs to group a set of products in a hierarchy. For example Music is a parent category and Rock Jazz and Classical are child categories. the parent category. – An entity used in catalogs to group a set of products in a hierarchy.
How do I assign a category to a blog post?
On the Add New/Edit Post screen, look for the Categories panel (at right). If the panel is collapsed, click the Arrow to expand the box. In the Categories panel, check the category name(s) to assign the post to. To create a new category, click + Add New Category at the bottom of the box.
What are blog categories and tags?
Tags and categories on posts are used to help readers locate information in different ways. Categories are like chapters of a book; they provide a general overview of the topics you blog about. Whereas tags are more like the index at the back of the book and explode the topic into a million bits.
What are blog categories?
A blog category is a topic you address on your blog. Your category list is like the table of contents for your blog. Categories are broad and can encompass smaller, more defined topics (i.e., tags). A category title should be descriptive and can be several words long.
How do I create multiple categories in WordPress?
To create multiple categoried you just have to enter categories separated by commas in ‘Enter categories separated by commas’ field. You can also create the categories as child by selecting parent category in ‘Parent Category’ dropdown.
Who are called parents?
A parent is a mother or father. Your mom and your dad are your parents, and one of their jobs is to parent you. We’re all born to parents, and many of us also have step parents, foster parents, or adoptive parents who parent us.
What is the role of categories in blog?
Blog categories organize your site and allow readers to find the information they want. They’re high-level topics that make it easy for people to understand what your blog is about and navigate to the content that interests them. Think of it like a table of contents.
How do I create a category URL in WordPress?
Changing how the Category or Tag URL will look
- Login to the WordPress Dashboard.
- Click on Settings, then click on Permalinks.
- Here you will see the Permalinks settings at the top the page.
- Click on the Category Base field and type in the custom label you want to use for the Category URL.
How do I name my blog categories?
Choosing The Names For Your Categories
- Pick category names people will get. Cute is for kittens.
- Choose categories that are keywords. Using keywords makes your category page have a keyword slug.
- Be consistent in how you write them. Use title case, lower case–use what you’d like, but keep it consistent across the board.
Do I need categories on my blog?
Readers use categories to find more of your writing on the same topic. Plus, some WordPress themes use categories to determine the placement of posts and the layout of your blog. If you’re going to use categories, you should use them well.
How do I categorize my blog?
Categorizing my blog posts in their menu pages
- Firstly set up the categories for each topic you want to have, like in your case –– Beauty, food, journal, etc.
- Edit the menu items by assigning them the same categories you want the posts to appear.
- Now just assign the correct category to the posts as well.
What is a category ID?
Simply open a category to edit, and you’ll see the category ID in the browser’s address bar. It is the same URL that appeared when there was a mouse hover on your category title. It means that the category ID is the number between ‘category&tag_ID=’ and ‘&post_type’, which is 2.